Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Grow Weirdos

I must. There is just no other explanation.

Remember when I was complaining about not being able to grow lavender 'Lady' from seed after three tries and only got one little sprout?

Well, I think something is wrong with it. Not bad wrong...weird wrong.

I mean, here I was doing the happy dance to get one measly sprout, and babied that sucker like it was my own child. (My real children didn't even bat an eye at my behavior - I wonder what that says about me?)

Ermm...it grew. And grew. And hasn't stopped.
By the time the foliage hit 4 inches tall, I had to transplant it to a larger pot because the roots were literally cramming themselves silly. I couldn't believe the mass of roots on that plant. If you just looked at the roots and not the plant, you'd have thought it was a full grown tomato.

Now it's in the biggest pot I have inside at the moment. I am sooo not digging through the snowbank for something else! In less than a few days it has grown at such a ridiculous pace that it's cramming itself against the lights. Dang, they're already as high as I can get 'em. Radishes don't grow this fast!

It's not happy growing like it should be eating my house - it's decided to bud. Yes, bud!
Now, what the hell is that about? The stupid thing is either gloriously happy with the above-and-beyond care it receives or is some kind of lavender mutant.

It's 8" tall for pete sake! And at only one month old (exactly 1 month!) it has decided to bud out. I'm not complaining, I'm just bewildered and unsettled at it's growth habits and I don't like to be discombobulated by plants.

Why can't I ever grow anything at a happy medium?

And the English Lavender seed I started just for the heck of it - 9 sprouts. I wonder if they'll be normal or I'll be grinning from ear to ear over more mutants?

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, that sounds like SOME lavender plant! I want to see a picture of it in late summer, I wonder if it will keep this pace up?

Tina said...

Hiya Christine!
It's a monster. Actually, I sure hope it does keep going. How cool would it be to have a 15 foot lavender? lol.
I'll see if I can get my daughter to take a pic with her cell around August. Well, if the sucker is still alive! ~crossing fingers~