Monday, February 18, 2008

I Was Cool As A Cucumber

Back in December, I posted about my niece and the house she bought (white picket fence and all) and how she was going to rip out perfectly good plants because she wasn't a gardener.

Suddenly...
she
wants
a
garden!

Where the hell did that come from? I don't know, but I thank whoever or whatever changed her mind! So thank you, God, karma, destiny, good juju or simple fresh vegetable lust.

When she showed up for help (she's never grown a thing from seed before) and seeds, I was cool as a cucumber. Oh, yes. I didn't freak out or jump up and down with excitement. I willed my shaking hands to be still as I explained which seeds needed to be started early and which she could plop in the ground and their growing conditions. I played it cool as I stuffed a bag with seed packs and explained when and how to start each one. I was calm and passive while she jotted notes to herself on each package with my 'special' garden sharpie.

Since she doesn't have a light set-up or anywhere to put one, I'll be starting a few cole crop things for her myself.

Oh, yeah! She's got the bug. And bad!

The only thing I worry about is her fiance freaking out when he sees that bag stuffed with seed packets. He has a small garden every year at his parent's house (cause K was never really interested) and I can hear the first words out of his mouth: "And just how big do you think this garden is going to be? Where are you going to plant all those?" I don't want him to discourage her, damn it.

Hang on tight K's man - you ain't seen nothin' yet! If it comes down to a stand-off about her gardening or not, you don't stand a chance. lol.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tina said...

Hey there Kim, thanks so much for stopping in!
Yup, that one word says it all!!
lol, I am deliriously happy.