Monday, December 18, 2006

Crazy, Crazy

This weather has been absolutey insane.

Besides the tulips assuming it's spring, the buddleias I got for Mothers Day have leafed (leaved?) out, as have the weigela that was transplanted from the moving lady's yard in August. Not good! Maybe I should go have a little talk with them and explain about the wacky weather.

The ranunculus on the front steps is still growing. Unbelievable. Maybe I should bring it in and see if I can nurse it through winter. The poor thing struggled all summer and never got big enough to flower, yet, here it is going gangbusters in December! What's up with that?

We did some last minute running around on Friday. It was a weird day...rain, sun, downpour, sun, sprinkle, sun...rainbow! Actually, it was a double within a double, and you could barely make out the very bottom of a third (4th if you count each as a single), which would make a double within a triple? Very, very strange for December 15. D commented that it was odd to see rainbows in the north since we usually see them a lot in summer, but to the south where they belong. Needless to say, no one on the road was really watching where they were driving since they were all way too busy staring at the December phenomenon. People were drifting and yanking their cars back into their own lanes on a consistant basis.

We ran out of fuel and it got cold enough in the house that I lost the rose cuttings. Man, when they decide to croak it only takes hours for them to turn black. Can't say as I blame 'em, we weren't too comfy either. Thank God it isn't snowing and 20 below.

I'll get to start WSing the weekend after Christmas. Woohoooo! I can't wait. I'm so excited to get started! Whoever said patience was a virtue needs to go sit on a pebble.

StumbleUpon.com

5 comments:

Bruce said...

With the mild weather we've been having, it's more like gardening weather, than Christmas weather! I actually saw a man in Glens Falls rototilling his garden a few days ago!

If only we could order snow for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and then play in our gardens the rest of the year! :)

Tina said...

"If only we could order snow for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and then play in our gardens the rest of the year!"

Trudi, now THAT would be perfection! It has been such decent weather lately that I feel guilty I'm not outside doing anything constructive. The rototiller dude is pretty smart, I think!

Sissy said...

Tina, that buttercup would be great in the spring, it loves the cooler weather!
Stay warm, Tina! It must have gotten quite cold for you if the plants died...

Unknown said...

My garlic is similarly confused... some of the poor things are up 4+ inches already, and thick looking. I guess I should be happy they were vigorous, huh? :*(

Tina said...

Sissy,
yeah, it certainly was cold! We had plenty of warm quilts and wool socks though. lol. Good thing it isn't the dead of winter.

Kim,
will the garlic still make it through the winter? Maybe cross your fingers? At this rate it's going to feel as if we're living in the tropics come February. Hmmm, might muck up the WSing plans a bit.