Thursday, July 05, 2007

Color UNcoordinated

I can dress myself - and even match colors. I swear, I can.

But when it comes to my flowers, I can't help it. I LIKE red and purple together. Pink and orange play off each other in an odd but rather fantastic way. My orange and maroon blanket flower and deep purple buddleia look fab caressing each others blooms.

My crayon garden runneth over. And I don't care! I absolutely adore it, just the way it is.

Honestly, I've found that people notice the individual plants much, much more when they clash. It's the oddest thing, but they do. Smaller flowers, even with the brightest colors, are usually passed by unnoticed. Clash 'em and they stick out like sore thumbs in a "look at me" sort of way. People wander down the paths a lot more slowly now and really see each plant and I wonder if this is why. Stick some toad flax next to a hosta and I swear, the sucker glows! My purple salvia is overjoyed to be cozily nestled next to the red bee balm.

In my big containers the WS'd purple petunias are absolutely illuminated next to the orange and red marigolds topped by mauve and yellow snaps. And it not only all works together, but is a stunner!

Can you tell I have a thing with purple and red?

I dumped a box of colors on the soil and my crayon garden is fab! I will never worry about coordinating colors again. Ever!

StumbleUpon.com

No comments: