This is what we did with our Sunday.
My oldest daughter is moving out of her old apartment and thought she'd be nice and change out all the blown bulbs, most of which were already blown out when they got there, so I figured now would be a good time to try out something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
The hubs followed the directions (found here) to hollow out the bulbs.
OK, he mostly followed them as our bulbs were a little different.
Only one had the kaolin in it and came clean and clear, so that one got used for the terrarium.
The rest were acid etched and will never come clear, so those got to be the rooting vases. I found the ornament hanger at the dollar store after Christmas for 10 cents (I'd had grand plans of hand painting some Christmas ornaments for next years gifts, but never found any on clearance) But, it worked perfect for this.
I'm really happy with the way these turned out!
And we got to break things, which is very therapeutic.
There are many, many different styles and sizes of glass and plastic objects you can use for terrariums. Use your imagination! Or, just look around the internet - people have used some cool stuff. Salvage stores are sometimes treasure troves. You just have to look around and think outside the box a little. The next time you spy something odd, clear and empty that you think is really cool but don't know what to do with . . .
Happy (tiny terrarium) Growing!
Sunday, March 28, 2010