Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Sauce Time!

I've gotten two batches of sauce so far this year.
Tried a new way of cooking the mess - roasting in the oven.
Much, much easier than stove top and a lot tastier!

Chopped and ready for the oven:
oddball

All roasted (425 for 1 hour, then 400 for another 3 to 4):
oddball

After being run through the food mill (You can just stick it in the blender, but the pickies at my house hate any skin or seed at ALL in their sauce):
oddball

Is really yummy. Or so the family says - I hate tomato sauce, so I wouldn't know! lol.

There isn't much left in the garden to harvest or get in the freezer.
I froze 6 cabbages and some more beans, including pole.
Blue Moon pumpkins are still going along well. I'll have a few of those to freeze for pies and bread.
Still waiting on the Ruby Queen sweet corn, brussel sprouts and popcorn.
Oh! The potatoes are fantastic this year. Woohoo!

The flowers have pretty much exhausted themselves, but there are still a few going strong. And i definitely have to save some seed from our "Christmas Tree Sunflower". How weirdly beautiful is this:
garden


Random last of the flowers pics:
garden

garden

garden

garden

garden

garden

garden

garden

yard


Happy growing! (what's left of the season, anyway)

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

Flighty said...

Nice post and photos! I've just got a few carrots, runner beans and sweetcorn left to harvest, and I've plenty of stored onions and potatoes to get through.
I especially like the sunflower pictures. I grew lots this year
http://flightplot.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/sunflowers/
and will grow even more next!
Happy gardening! xx

Tina said...

Hiya, Flighty!
Thanks, I'm getting better with the ca, finally.
:)
Glad you got a good harvest of onion and potato!
I don't understand people who don't like sunflowers...what's not to like? lol.

Flighty said...

Happy New Year!
I had my last potatoes on New Year's Day and I've got one onion left!
I'll be buying this years onion sets and seed potatoes tomorrow.
Only armchair gardening possible here at present as we're under a blanket of snow!
Take care, and here's to us all having a good gardening year! Flighty xx